Basketball team shows its support for cancer awareness

Sophia Timm-Blow, Staff Reporter

The Okemos boys’ basketball team has had quite a bit of success this year currently leading the CAAC Blue with an 8-2 record. On Friday, Jan. 24, they beat Dewitt 43-42 but this game was more significant than most. It was Coaches vs. Cancer night, a special event in which the team got to honor loved ones that have been affected by cancer and raise money for the American Cancer Association.
It was a tight game, ending with only a one-point victory. Noah Pruitt (12) led Okemos with 16 points followed by Austin Gibson (12) with 10 points. They are currently unbeaten in the CAAC Blue.
All of the coaches wore sneakers with their suits and the players wore jerseys with the name of someone they knew who had been affected by cancer. In preparation for the game, the basketball team sold glow in the dark bracelets that said “never give up” for $3 each at lunch. They also promoted the game on social media and on posters hung up throughout the school in an attempt to get as high of an attendance as possible. Student section t-shirts were for sale at the game with proceeds supporting Coaches vs. Cancer and our athletic programs.
“This game was just really cool to play in as we got to play a sport we love while supporting a bigger cause,” Grant Hinterman (12) said.
“Many players on the team have had loved ones with cancer, so the game had more of an emotional effect on those individuals. I played for my mom. Last year she was diagnosed with breast cancer, and now she is a cancer survivor. It was an honor to play with her name on my back, as she fought so hard,” Hinterman said.
The energy in the room was palpable as the team secured their victory. Although the game counted just as much as other league games, it felt more significant as the players worked hard to honor their loved ones.