Autumnal activities to enjoy outside of extracurriculars

Rose Albrecht, Associate Editor

We always lose fall to the start of school. Everyone forgets that it even exists besides, of course, the ever-looming popularity of pumpkin spice. So here are some things to do in our tiny little boring Michigan town that you didn’t even know were happening.
Apple Butter Festival: Oct. 19-20 — Fenner Nature Center
Come to enjoy apple themed foods, stroll around the trails, see the process of how apple butter is made and much more. A smaller festival but quaint and not your usual pumpkin themed fall event.
Arts Night Out: Nov. 1 — Old Town Lansing
Wander the usual quaint shops of Old Town while also experiencing it at its most artsy level. Local music, art, dance and other creative sights to peruse out and about in the streets.
Alpacafest: Oct. 12-13 — The Summit Sports and Ice Complex
Never seen an alpaca in person before? I know you want to! In addition to live alpacas, this festival has a wide variety of products based from alpaca hair which is softer than you can imagine, the festival gives you the opportunity to learn more about these magnificent creatures.
Lansing Zombie Walk: Oct. 20 — Lansing Center
The 10th annual Downtown Lansing Zombie Walk encourages participants to bring a nonperishable food donation to support the Greater Lansing Food Bank, and in return they get to terrorize the capitol and get a discounted ticket to another event, How-To Halloween, for even more fun.
Constellation Cat Cafe:
This cute cafe where you can pet kitties and sip your tea has brought the cat cafe craze to Lansing. The cafe just opened this Sept. Not exactly a fall activity, but a new business to experience and who doesn’t want to pet a cat anytime?
Autumnfest: Nov. 9 — MSU Pavilion for Agriculture
This MSU run event is the fancy version of a tailgate, held three hours before the football game with Illinois. You get to see the farms, sample terrific Michigan products, learn about student organizations and even more.
Women in the Arts Festival: Nov. 8-9 — Edgewood United Church
Women artists from all around Michigan come to show off their crafts to the greater Lansing area. With over 50 vendors, performances and workshops, it really shows off the breadth of Michigan women artists.
Grand Ledge Color Cruise and Island Festival: Oct. 11-13 — Grand Ledge Chamber of Commerce
This fall festival includes demonstrations of woodworking, blacksmith, broom making, candle making, as well as fall themed activities. There are boat rides and carriage rides to see the beautiful fall scenery. The focus of the festival is on Michigan’s history, celebrating who we are as Michiganders.
BestMaze: Weekends — Directions on website
Claiming to have the best corn maze around, BestMaze takes pride in its difficult maze, even having people in towers you can ask if you need help. It also has The Trail of Terror, the evil counterpart to their corn maze. They claim the best quality maze around, so it’s a good option if you’re bored of unimpressive scares or want a good walking puzzle.
Uncle Johns Cider Mill: Open Seven Days a Week — Somewhat hard to find
An especially popular place to visit in the fall, it’s got all the classic autumn attractions. Hayrides, a corn maze, a pumpkin patch and even more fall delights. They have events of their own going on all through the fall as well. If you want the nostalgic feeling of a farm in fall, this is the place for you.