The OHS Press

Your guide to Greater Lansing area’s seasonal holiday events

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo by: Abigail Bradley

Photo by: Abigail Bradley

Photo by: Abigail Bradley

Photo by: Abigail Bradley

Abigail Bradley, Staff Reporter

The Lansing area has various holiday activities and festivals to offer during the month of December. From magical light shows to ice skating, there are numerous things to do during the holiday season. Boost your holiday spirit by attending these events.

The Potter Park Zoo has prepared a Wonderland of Lights for the previous 24 years during the Christmas season. Potter Park Zoo sets up a gorgeous set of twinkling lights to enhance the magic of winter. The Wonderland of Lights is open Thursdays through Sundays 5pm to 8pm from November 22 to December 30. It is additionally open on December 17, 18, and 19. There will be cookies, art activities, and many animals to see. Some of the animals they own include reindeer, arctic foxes, an alaskan moose, and penguins! On December 1, you can get free admission into the zoo if you bring in a new, unwrapped toy for their toy drive.

Potter Park Zoo’s Wonderland of Lights is a magical place to visit during the Christmas season.

On Saturday, December 1, East Lansing will be organizing an outdoor winter festival from 2pm to 5pm. There are a variety of activities at the Winter Glow festival including horse and carriage rides, a live music tent, ice carving, winter photo scenes, and more. The festival is found in three different locations: the Ann Street Plaza, Fountain Square and inside of the East Lansing Marriott hotel. The Winter Glow festival is free with the exception of photos with Santa and hot chocolate for donations. There will also be a Toys for Tots toy drive, so bring a new, unwrapped toy for children in need. Start the holiday season off with this wonderful winter event!

From November 16 to December 22, Thursdays through Saturdays, there will be marvelous light shows at Cooley Law School Stadium from 5pm to 9pm. For only 5 dollars, you can get the whole holiday experience! There will be a 360 degree walk around light extravaganza. Each day they offer special activities. On Thursdays there will be a s’more station and a bonfire. Come on a Friday to experience holiday movies, crafts, s’mores, and a Big Lug (dressed as the Grinch) appearance. Visit Santa, watch holiday movies, experience a plethora of crafts and activities and decorate cookies on Saturday.

Ice skating is a timeless winter activity. Watching your friends or family attempt to stay on their feet while uncontrollably slipping and sliding across the ice. The skating rink is open to the public at both Suburban Ice and the Summit. It costs five dollars at Suburban and six dollars at the Summit. Skate rentals at both locations are only two dollars. Visit their websites for more details on their hours.
Another classic Christmas tradition is getting a tree. There are three tree farms around the Okemos area: Star, Tannenbaum, and Austin Tree Farm. The Austin Tree Farm is located on North Okemos Road. They have Blue Spruce, Norway Spruce and Canaan Fir trees. Many of the trees are over ten feet tall. Every weekend they offer hot chocolate and wagon rides. They also have a gift shop that includes holiday decorations and necessities for keeping your Christmas tree healthy.

Tannenbaum Farms is located on Sandhill road in Mason. They offer Blue Spruces, Fraser Firs, White Pines, Concolor Fir, and Scotch Pine trees. Tannenbaum Farms also sells wreaths and garland. This is a fantastic, family-friendly place where you can go make memories of arguing over which tree to bring home. They also have a gift shop that has numerous Christmas decorations and gifts. The Christmas Shop is the perfect place to go after scampering through the tree lot in search of the ideal tree in the freezing temperatures. You can get hot chocolate, cookies, and visit Santa Claus. Tannenbaum Farms is an alluring location to visit to enhance the Christmas season.

The Star Tree Farm is found on Willoughby road in Mason. You can also choose and cut down your own tree at this location. They have Blue Spruce, Balsam Fir, Scotch Fir, and White Pine trees. Star tree farms also offer wreaths, tree stands, model cars, tractor trading cards, tree care items, and firewood. Come to Star farms for an abundance of free stuff including hot chocolate, coffee, tea, and boughs. Just don’t come on Sundays because they aren’t in operation that day.

The holiday season is now in full swing. Boost your holiday spirit and help Santa’s sleigh fly this year by attending all of the magical events Lansing has to offer. Have a happy holiday season! Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy New Year and Merry Christmas!