The OHS Press

Multiple mice wreak havoc on the Newsroom

Sophie Parks, Copy Editor

Over the past three days, I have been on two mouse hunts. This may be due to the nature of my fifth hour, which, after the seniors’ depart, contains Katie Burkhardt (11), Ayesha Panda (11) and myself. Naturally, we were ready for an adventure.

The mice had found their way into the comm lab, a room near and dear to my heart, providing even further incentive to capture the tiny culprit.

The first mouse, on June 4,  required a heroic chase through the upper B hall, ending when Gloria Rozeboom (English) swept in with a cardboard box to stop our Mouse Number 1. This was the solution to our first problem (the mouse itself).

As triumphant as this moment was, we quickly realized the predicament that we had gotten ourselves into. The mouse was contained, but there was no way for us to get it out of the school. Each of us came up with a different solution and ran to grab the nearest flat object to slide underneath the box, theoretically creating a lid and trapping the mouse in a way that we were able to transport it.

Rozeboom asserted that manilla envelopes were too thin, a file folder didn’t cover enough and the bottom of the hand sanitizer dispenser was too thick to fit between the box and the floor. Quick to the rescue, she enlisted two of us to keep our hands over the box as she hurried to her classroom to retrieve a poster that we were finally able to put underneath. Problem number two: solved.

The whole process became easier after this. Rozeboom picked up the box and Freeman gathered us for a picture (above) before our group of five headed down the stairs and out the lower A hall door.

Following a brief countdown, Rozeboom lifted the top of the box and, together with Freeman tipped the box and watched the mouse run away.

Away, however, was back toward the school.

Even still, we thought our mousecapade was over until a second mouse was brought to our attention.

Staring into the depths of the ACTION closet, it took a few minutes before our mouse popped out from behind a box. As quickly as ‘she’ appeared, ‘she’ vanished again. Each of us took our turn calling for the mouse who had seemingly disappeared into nothing.

We named Mouse Number Two “Bernadette” after the book titled Where’d You Go, Bernadette. In the book, Bernadette is known for her miraculous disappearances without a trace, and we found this to be true of our new mouse friend as well.

At this point, I had enlisted the help of Loreta Prenaj (10), Anna Alegi (11) and Aneliese Baker (11) as well.

Further investigation after removing everything from the closet unearthed a third, dead mouse.

With Bernadette still on the loose, all I leave you with is this: be careful where you’re leaving your food.

And if you see something moving in a corner, you’re probably right.