The OHS Press

Kroger pleases the pickiest of shoppers

Meg Wiseman, Staff Reporter

Spring has finally sprung and brought a flourish of fruits and vegetables along with it. Although Okemos weather is certainly warm these days, farmers’ markets and weekend produce stands have yet to appear, forcing those desperate for a taste of the upcoming season to look elsewhere.

Fortunately, local grocery stores have produce sections open all year long, stocked with only the freshest of foods.

“[I usually shop at] Whole Foods, because they cater to my dietary needs and have organic fruits,” Katie Jones (11), a vegan, said.

While Whole Foods is indeed a solid place to shop, many seem to overlook a much cheaper and faster option: Kroger. As a vegetarian millenial on a budget, it is of the utmost importance to me to receive high quality produce at a bang for my buck. And so, with high spirits, I ventured into Kroger’s produce section during my weekly grocery shopping.

First off, the produce is front and center in the store, with a vast spread of various items. This is helpful for those who want to get in and get out. For me, I prefer to get all of the cold items or perishables right before exiting the store as it keeps them slightly fresher (in my humble opinion). I appreciate the sheer size of the section though, it is not too overwhelming, but offers a large variety.

There are also many sales on the foods themselves. Whether that is because the products are old or because Kroger is just generous, I cannot say, but my wallet is thankful nonetheless. A whole pound of blueberries for four dollars is a steal if you ask me. Chunks of watermelon are also fairly cheap at three dollars for six large pieces, however, the taste is quite lacking. Many of the packaged strawberries are large but also show multiple bruises, and I do not want to eat old berries. I just do not.

All in all, much of what I brought home with me that day had a nice taste despite that the average expiry date was in three days. Personally the price alone is enough to have me coming back, because if there is anything you have most likely learned about me, it is that I like a deal. For what it is, Kroger’s produce section gets an 8 out of 10 rating. I just wish my fruits were not bruised.