The OHS Press

Trump visits MI

Aneliese Baker, Staff Reporter

On Saturday, April 28th, Trump played hooky at his House Correspondents Dinner for the second year in a row. The more than century-old occasion is arranged by journalists and is filled with platform coverage and entertainment that often involves poking fun at the president. Keeping with his alienation and outright enmity with the media, Trump opted out of the dinner at Washington, D.C, in exchange for one with a more welcoming crowd in Washington Township, Michigan. There, he held a rally in front of thousands of right-wing Michigan citizens. In fact, within less than a minute of being on stage, he brags about the size of the crowd, much as he did during his presidential inauguration.

“You want to see a lot of people? Go outside. We could have filled this place up five or six times,” Trump said.

Michigan, just two years ago, defied all odds and voted Republican-majority in the 2016 election. The swing state has leaned left for several decades, and this change came as a sore spot for Democrats and Hillary Clinton supporters and a shock to the nation, who hadn’t seen the state vote right since the election of 1988.

As comedian Michelle Wolfe roasted him at the Correspondents Dinner, Trump was roasting all those who threatened his policies and the platform of his voters—elites, the media, Democrats, and anyone in Washington who stood on his bad side.

“You may have heard I was invited to another event tonight, I’d much rather be in Washington, Michigan, than Washington, D.C.,” Trump said.

Trump, of course, was safe from the the political jabs of the capitol and welcomed in Washington Township—a right-wing haven that produced a large crowd of chanting supporters, all clad in “Make America Great Again” hats. He treated this crowd to the rhetoric they wanted to hear—rants about immigrants, gibes at the Democrats, including Minority House Leader, Nancy Pelosi, and support for the military-industrial complex. He boasted that his economic and domestic policies are successful.

“Let me tell you, our country is doing great,” and “We are higher now than we were on Election Day, and polls show I’m above Obama” Trump said of his popularity.

He also announced plans for revamping the military and the infamous construction of a wall between Mexico and the US, calling out the opposite party for its failures.

“The Democrats don’t care about our military. They don’t,” Trump said. “They don’t care about our borders or crime,” Trump said. “If we don’t get border security, we’ll have no choice. We’ll close down the country.”

Among domestic affairs revolving around recent school shootings, he turns to the Democrats as a threat to the NRA.

“Be careful of your 2nd Amendment. OK, be careful. Be careful of your 2nd Amendment if [Democrats] get in,” Trump said.

He also told the crowd of the continuation of his economic policies attacking the actions of his presidential predecessor.

“We are getting rid of Obamacare. Some people would say that we have essentially gotten rid of it,” Trump said.

In terms of foreign affairs, Trump promised to meet Kim Jong-Un to discuss denuclearization in “the next three or four weeks” and insisted that he deserved more credit than the media gave him for the meeting between North and South Korea.

“They were saying, ‘What you think President Trump had to do with it?’ I will do you what. How about, everything — I will tell you what. How about, everything?” Trump said, amongst a crowd chanting “Nobel! Nobel!”
He also addressed the Russia, promising to be “tougher” on them, as well as deflecting claims from former FBI director, James Comey and special investigator, Robert Mueller that he was involved in corrupt bargains with Russia. Trump had fired Comey in 2017, and he has since written a book sparking public criticism of Trump’s ethics and potential coordination between Russia.

“You remember Jon Lovitz? A liar. Comey’s worse. He is a liar and a leaker,” Trump said. “The only collusion is the Democrats colluding with the Russians, the Democrats colluding with lots of other people.”

He also attacked the media, a enemy that he has made public since before his election.

“They don’t have sources. The sources don’t exist in many cases. The sources in many cases don’t exist,” Trump said.