Boys varsity basketball advances to playoffs

Bryce Kobe, Staff Reporter

Okemos Boys Basketball won the Capital Area Athletic Conference: Blue Division title in a game against East Lansing on Friday, February 23, 2018 with a score of 64-56.

Evan Thomas (11) led the team with scoring 17 points, and Jordan Henry (12) followed him closely with 16. Noah Pruitt (10) had 11.

With this win, Okemos moved up to 18th in the state, and East Lansing dropped to 19, according to mlive.com

Brandon Johns, 6 foot 8 Power Forward and 2nd best player in the state and a four star University of Michigan commit, still had a good game against the Chiefs with 25 points, but that was low enough for Okemos to come out with the win.

“It felt pretty good to be a senior and win the conference championship,” Henry said. “All of our hard work during the season payed off.”

Brandon Clark (12) has been going to the Chiefs basketball games since his freshman year.

“It was really neat seeing them win the blue. Okemos has always been pretty good at basketball and seeing all the support from the community really added to the experience,” Clark said. “It was a great time.”

Henry and the rest of the team have confidence that their season will not end anytime soon.

“We still haven’t played our best basketball. We can go as far as we want if we play as a team and our leaders step up,” Henry said.

This victory leads to the beginning of the playoffs for Okemos, with the first playoff game against Everett on Monday, March 5, followed by Jackson on Wednesday, March 7th, and the district championship on Friday.

If they win districts, they will move on to regionals, which will take place on Tuesday and Thursday of next week.

The regional champions will advance to the state quarterfinals and play for a spot in the state semifinals. From there, it is just the championship game left.

And you can be sure that Brandon Clark will be there for every game.

“I really want to see how good our team can be. I plan on going to every game they play and hopefully it leads to the state championship,” Clark said.