The OHS Press

White nationalist comes to MSU

GAINESVILLE, FL - OCTOBER 19:  White nationalist Richard Spencer, who popularized the term

GAINESVILLE, FL - OCTOBER 19: White nationalist Richard Spencer, who popularized the term "alt-right" speaks at the Curtis M. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts on October 19, 2017 in Gainesville, Florida. Spencer delivered a speech on the college campus his first since he and others participated in the "Unite the Right" rally which turned violent in Charlottesville, Virginia. (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

Getty Images

Getty Images

Amaeka Effiong, Staff Reporter

Michigan State University has been under fire for the past few weeks after the uproar over the horrific Larry Nassar trial, and was in the news again recently for allowing Richard Spencer to come speak.

White Nationalist leader, Richard Spencer made his way to MSU on March 5 to give a private speech to his supporters and other white nationalists.

Spencer was able to speak at MSU after renting a space in the MSU Pavilion for Agriculture and Livestock Education. He is in no way affiliated with the University.

In 2017, Spencer was denied approval to rent a space at MSU because of the chaos that transpired during one of his earlier speeches in Charlottesville, Virginia.

Spencer is on tour at the moment, visiting different college campuses to speak to people in the area about his beliefs. So far he has received varying responses from universities with some willing to give him a place to speak, and others severely resisting him. Spencer is currently pushing for the University of Michigan to allow him to visit.  

The announcement of Spencer’s arrival has caused many around the community to come together in protest of the speaker and his values.  

The anger caused by Spencer came as no surprise to MSU administrators, as they specifically chose his speaking date to be during their spring break, in order to decrease the chance of any potential agressions. However, the anger was not able to be suppressed and violence erupted amongst those for and against Spencer.

Some members of Antifa, an anti-fascist group, were present and did not hold back with insults or attacks.

The speech was scheduled originally for 4:30 p.m, but was postponed due to the tremendous amounts of protesters and unruliness.

The nearly 500 protesters largely outweighed the number of attendees at Spencer’s speech which had about 3 dozen members.

By the end of the day, at least 24 arrests were made and several people were left wounded and enraged.

According to the Chicago tribune, John Engler, the interim president of MSU, assures that “Nobody affiliated with Michigan State invited this small, hateful group.”