The OHS Press

Olympic Recap

PYEONGCHANG, SOUTH KOREA - FEBRUARY 13:   Gold medalist Chloe Kim #1 of the United States celebrates

PYEONGCHANG, SOUTH KOREA - FEBRUARY 13: Gold medalist Chloe Kim #1 of the United States celebrates"n her gold medal win during the Snowboard - Ladies' Halfpipe competition at Phoenix Snow Park on February 13, 2018 in PyeongChang, South Korea. (Photo by Tim Clayton/Corbis via Getty Images)

Corbis via Getty Images

Corbis via Getty Images

Meg Wiseman, Staff Reporter

For 2 consecutive weeks, countries all around the world gathered in harmony to watch the 23rd Olympic Winter Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea. Unlike most years prior, women were able to take home more medals than their male counterparts, proving that, despite a society attempting to bring them down, girl power is ever present.

Not only are these women showing incredible talent and skill, they are also teaching viewers and fans valuable life lessons.

At only 17 years old, Korean-American snowboarder Chloe Kim snatched the gold in the women’s halfpipe. The youngest American to do so, Kim was already proving herself long before the Olympics during the 2016 X Games and Youth Olympics competitions, taking home multiple gold medals during both events. Those medals hold great importance she is the only athlete to win three gold in the X Games under 16 years old.

Kim is a stunning example of greatness at a young age. Taking up snowboarding at 4 and beginning to compete at 13, the high school student is accomplishing more than most do in their entire lives. Her actions work as inspiration for other aspiring athletes; if you dream it, you can do it, no matter what your age.

However, winning gold is not solely what makes an athlete respectable. Evgenia Medvedeva, a Russian figure skater, was the fan favorite expected to dominate the competition. She only scored silver at the Pyeongchang Olympics, but is still the standing World Champion in skating. During the 2016-2017 season, Medvedeva was among the ranks of Tara Lipinski and Yuna Kim, winning first in two Grand Prix tournaments back-to-back.

Although Medvedeva was just short of top marks, her title stays. She took the loss with grace, still managing to become a source of pride for Russia with her beautiful Anna Karenina inspired routine. Her achievements have only been matched by Michelle Kwon during the early 2000’s. Simply put, not placing first does not erase prior accomplishments; if anything, it strengthens them.

There are 102 events in the winter Olympics, and curling is one sport many are fascinated by. While far from simple, the Republic of Korea’s “Garlic Girls” make it seem like a breeze. Made up of Eun-jung Kim, Kyeong-ae Kim, Seon-yeong Kim, Cho-hi Kim and Yeong-mi Kim, the women’s team may have lost the gold, but in turn, their popularity in Korea is unable to be ignored. Initially relatively unknown and from small garlic-growing town Uiseong, the team’s drive was unmatched, and their spirit is what has them going down in history.

The Garlic Girls’ victory, while painted in silver as opposed to gold, has made their fame skyrocket to unknown heights. Appearing on television shows and making their debuts as internet memes, the members of the beloved team have reached true celebrity status. Against all odds, these women rose to the top, giving hope to other fellow underdogs around the globe.

This is the year of greatness for female athletes. The efforts of so many incredible women are already opening doors for those wishing to follow in their footsteps, and as time goes on, we can guarantee another Olympic takeover. Who knows what 2020 will hold?