Football Recap

Brandon Gordon, Staff Reporter

Okemos Varsity Football fell to a record of 4-1 after a 28-20 loss to the undefeated Grand Ledge team on Friday. Last year the team finished 2-7, losing five games by a combined score of only 24.

Four year varsity player and team captain Patrick Nugent (senior) explains how this affected the team.
“That in a way taught us we needed to learn how to finish in the off-season. So we spent a lot of the off-season thinking about and learning how to finish out,”  Nugent said.
Expectations among the team this year were high going in, according to Jason Pridgeon (senior). He attributes it to how well the upperclassmen complement each other.
“We’ve known since freshman year that this would be the year we and the junior class
played together. They have what we need and we have what they need with regards to big guys and skill position guys,” Pridgeon said.
So far his comments on the importance of complementary football ring true as the team jumped to a scolding 4-0 start for the first time since 1998. And their first loss last Friday came at thehands of undefeated divisional foe Grand Ledge.
“We went in knowing it would be a tough battle. It was our first close game of the season so it showed what kind of team we are and what we can do when we face adversity. We just had a couple of miscues on defense that led to big plays that they look advantage of,” Pridgeon said.
Looking ahead to next week, a tough game against 3-2 Sexton looms.
“They are really athletic, so they can explode at any point. But I think our offense will settle them down by controlling time of possession and working the ball down the field. We should end up with a dub,” Pridgeon said.
Nugent also weighed in on the dangers of Sexton’s team.
“Sexton has a really good running back and wide receiver. Two guys we circle every week (while watching film) who are their best players,” Nugenst said.
How Sexton’s play-makers and athletic ability will be contained will be something to watch for as Okemos looks to improve to 5-1 Friday with a road victory.