The student news site of Okemos High School

The OHS Press

iPhone 8 Rumors

Joe Chappelle, Staff Reporter

With every summer comes the usual: swimming, mosquitoes and best of all, rumors for newest iPhone.

Whether it’s reading the newspaper or your timeline on Facebook, there will likely be someone talking about what the next iPhone will be like. Last year, the rumor was that the iPhone 7 wasn’t going to have a headphone jack. The year before that, a rumor that the iPhone was going to get bigger and a redesigned.

This year is the same, and there are several highlighting rumors that are making the rounds.

For starters, this year is all about the display. To keep up with its competitors, the next iPhone will have a screen that will extend from the very bottom of the phone to the very top. This would eliminate the home button, making it completely integrated into the screen. While some are speculating an OLED screen, one of the nicest and clearest on the market, others have been quick to negate this claim, saying that it would drain too much battery.

Speaking of battery, some suggest that wireless charging could be come to the iPhone, as several patents indicating so have been made public via third parties. Unfortunately, that patent technology is said to be too advanced to be implemented into next year’s phone, but the hope remains.

While it was expected, it’s worth noting that the beloved headphone jack will not be returning to the next iPhone.

In addition, the next iPhone may have a dual camera system, much like the setup on the iPhone 7 plus. This could come standard in every version of the next iPhone, but would still cost a pretty penny.

All of these rumors are compiled nicely in a video by Unbox Therapy on YouTube, and several outlets including Forbes have made articles outlining other speculated aspects of the new iPhone.

While the release date for the next iPhone gets closer, the rumors will continue with new speculations coming up all over the place. But for now, these are the highlights to keep an eye on.