The OHS Press

Satire: Staffer Gives Advice on How to Not Hate School

Back to Article
Back to Article

unknown

unknown

unknown

Gabe Hales, Staff Reporter

No matter what type of student you are, school can suck. There’s always those days where you just want to do nothing else but sleep in and not see the hundreds of other kids you’re forced to work and interact with everyday, along with your teachers and that awful lunch food. The desks can hurt your back, the constant writing and thinking can give you headaches and assorted pains, and don’t get me started on the multitudes of stress it can cause, especially as a student at OHS. But don’t worry any longer! As a senior who is almost finished with his long haul through the Okemos school system, I have some tips to help you conquer your not-so-good days.

I’d like to start with my personal favorite activity that’s different and a bit smaller than the others, and it doesn’t particularly suit everybody. I’m talking about the act of listening to music in class and maybe even in the halls. Get yourself a good pair of headphones and pull up your favorite tunes on your preferred device and jam away. I am not in anyway condoning listening to music while the teacher talks, that’s outright disrespectful. I’m talking about plugging in when you get some free work time, and if you’re anything like me, do some math with a full orchestral piece blasting into your ears. Theres also a sense of euphoria that is added when you walk through the halls with some sort of track playing into your ear holes. It’s like you’re in a movie and everything you do is planned and people are rooting for you every step of the way. A quick warning though, be careful with this one as it can become very antisocial and even rude in some cases, so use please wisely.

Another tip i’ve used that can actually do the opposite of the last one is being overly positive throughout the day, or atleast trying to be. Most students know all too well the feeling of being sucked into negative thoughts immediately after getting out of bed in the morning to when you finally get to leave school at 2:35 PM. This is a horrible practice in which I find myself doing a lot. Although it might seem fun and understandable to just act like you hate everything to get through the day, it actually makes it feel worse and it makes it seem so much longer. If you just try and see everything in a new, brighter light, your school day will become infinitely better. Having to sit through yet another lecture? Try and actually listen in and think and answer questions, it’ll not only help you excel in the class but it’ll also make the day go by faster. Have to eat at school instead of at home or out with friends? Try and find some place other than the cafeteria to eat, whether it be outside or tucked away in a corner in one of your favorite teachers classes, all you need to do is ask! It’ll help you enjoy lunch more and itll bring a new environment to your day. There are so many things you can do to bring more positivity into your day, and trust me, I know it’s hard, but once you fully commit and start acting like you actually care, your days will fly by.

My final tip may seem obvious and dumb, but it’s an important one. Make sure you surround yourself with people you actually enjoy being around. Maybe try not to focus on being in and impressing a huge group, but try and find the select few that have the same interests as you, and i’m not just talking about you all liking to get drunk outside of school. I’m talking about people that like to play the same videogames as you, or maybe who do the same sports as you, but most importantly, people who make you enjoy coming to school. Maybe it’s not even a group, maybe it’s just that one special person. Its whatever or whomever you want it to be, you just have to find them.

So get out there and enjoy the day! Live each one like it’s your last. As people say, these are supposedly the best days of our lives, so make them count. Don’t waste away your nights laying in bed and complaining about school, go do something! I promise you, if you manage your time correctly, week days can include the same activities as weekends. Take my tips and modify them how you’d like, and even add your own. Hopefully they’ll help you go through the day with a better outlook, and get you to graduation with some good memories.