The OHS Press

Staffer Reviews: Get Out

Back to Article
Back to Article

Staffer Reviews: Get Out

Photo courtesy LA Times

Photo courtesy LA Times

Photo courtesy LA Times

Photo courtesy LA Times

Adanya Gilmore, Photo Editor

A new movie introduced by Jordan Peele is one of the many successful films lined up in 2017. Get Out, released on February 24th, has been making waves and solidifying itself as a future cult classic. Since its time of release, Get Out has maintained a 99% on Rotten Tomatoes and dominated the box office.

Many of the ideas centered around the film have been applied to our current political climate, social justice issues and the overall relevance. It brings forth thought provoking concepts to its audience, the primary one being racial fear.

Get Out centers around Chris, a young black man, and his girlfriend, a young white woman visiting her parents for the weekend. The events that ensue later are horrific, hypnotic, and terrifyingly real fears that Jordan Peele illuminates.

Before even mentioning what the film exposes about the black experience, every detail has a symbolic, methodical purpose. The event of a young black man being fearful while walking through a white suburb is a prime example. It takes what is already known by a big portion of the audience, and building a horrific scenario that helps those who don’t know understand.

Get Out is also a film of great storytelling. Each motif and encounter Chris faces, we see his vulnerability, his mindset of complete and utter terror.

There was a satirical aspect to Get Out as well. Dark humor isn’t often thought of as something that could be used in a film that uses gore, and humor in horror films with a majority white cast often involve ghosts or some sort of haunted mansion involving Eddie Murphy. The movie’s very real, relatable interactions were placed in the midst of a dreadful situation.

Taking a very real and relevant issue and putting it into an entertaining and beautiful film is not something that is often done. Jordan Peele shows a mixture of hatred and desperation that is rare, and definitely not seen before. As a first time director, Jordan Peele gives an excellent social critique with a promising Oscar nomination for 2018. At the very least, it deserves Best Original Screenplay.

Some of the most iconic horror films are glorified, praised and celebrated for the very reasons that Get Out is a good film. One reason it stands out is the current time that we are in. Get Out has the potential to be held at the same stature as a classic horror flick, one that we watch over and over, analyze again and again. It can be without a doubt held to and surpass the pedestal that movies like The Sixth Sense or The Shining have maintained.