The OHS Press

Donald Trump Starts Media War

Back to Article
Back to Article

Donald Trump Starts Media War

Holden Santi, Web Editor

Listen up, sheeple, you’re all being duped. The liberal media is playing you all for fools!

Just kidding.

But that’s not what Donald Trump would have you think.

For the past month, ever since Donald Trump assumed the presidency, a war has been waged. The Trump Administration has attacked the media time and again and Trump himself has shown a deep seated distrust in major media outlets.

Back in January the popular news outlet Buzzfeed leaked documents from a secret informant detailing various ties between Trump and Vladimir Putin. Parts of the document even describes Tump hiring local prostitutes to urinate on the bed of the Presidential Suite of an expensive Moscow hotel, a bed which Trump knew that former President Barack Obama had slept in. When a reporter from Buzzfeed mentioned the documents during Donald Trump’s first press conference as President-Elect, he called Buzzfeed a “failing pile of garbage.”

Ever since the rise of fake news since the election, Donald Trump has been throwing around the term willy nilly, branding any news outlet who opposes him. Not long after Trump’s Buzzfeed insult, he called CNN “fake news” telling one of their reporters at a press conference to be quiet when he was trying to ask a question.

It is ironic that Trump would throw around the term “fake news”  when his own administration can’t get its facts straight.

When Trump’s travel ban went into effect there was considerable opposition. When Kellyanne Conway, Counselor to the President, took to the media to ease tension about the so called “Muslim Ban,” she cited the “Bowling Green Massacre” as justification. However there was an error in her reasoning: the Bowling Green Massacre never happened. Conway tried to backstep, saying she misspoke and meant to say “Bowling Green attack” and later said she meant to say the “Bowling Green terrorists,” none of which are real.

Even the White House Press Secretary has had trouble with the truth. In late January, Press Secretary Sean Spicer referenced a nonexistent terrorist attack in Atlanta not once, not twice, but three times in one week. The last terrorist attack in Atlanta, Georgia occurred 21 years ago. Spicer later admitted to his gaff, saying he meant Orlando, referencing the Pulse Nightclub shooting last June.

On Feb. 6 Trump tweeted, “Any negative polls are fake news, just like the CNN, ABC, NBC polls in the election. Sorry, people want border security and extreme vetting.”

Perhaps Trump has grown wary during his short time as President and forgot that he lost the popular vote and the “people” he’s referring to do not, in fact, want extreme vetting. Nevertheless, Trump has essentially condemned anyone who opposes him to a fate of being fake news.

This is the beginning of tyranny.

The leader of the free world is not a dictator and cannot needlessly denounce anyone who opposes him. When Kellyanne Conway and Tomi Lahren from “The Blaze” raving about how Black Lives Matter is a terrorist organization are our only “credible” sources of news, there’s a problem.

In this time of confusion and strife, we need the media more than ever. One of the media’s main roles in the political process is the watchdog, exposing political corruption and making sure the public knows about it .

When the media is not allowed to do their job due to a lying, loud bigoted man, then we have a problem.