The OHS Press

Movies to Look Forward to in 2017

Back to Article
Back to Article

Movies to Look Forward to in 2017

Photo courtesy econlife.com

Photo courtesy econlife.com

Photo courtesy econlife.com

Photo courtesy econlife.com

Johnny Mocny, Entertainment Editor

One year passes and another one begins. The eternal cycle that is currently still happening. As I remain on my quest to see every critically-acclaimed movie from 2016 to make a “best of the year” list, I found it opportune to first make a list of the films I’m most looking forward to this year, since that would require absolute zero movie watching, which does in fact get tiring. And lonely. Mostly lonely.

Remember, this is my opinion, and since my opinion is law, here are the top ten movies to look forward to in 2017.

Number 10: John Wick: Chapter 2

I know it’s been said a lot, but John Wick revitalized the action genre—and Keanu Reeve’s career—with an incredible, creative world of underground crime and ingenious action set pieces, John Wick begged for a follow-up.

Number 9: Kong: Skull Island

Yes, the fact that it’s building up to an epic clash with Godzilla does play a part in my excitement for this new creature-feature, but the cast (including Tom Hiddleston, Samuel L. Jackson, Brie Larson, and John Goodman) and enthralling trailer lends itself to the excitement quite well, too.

Number 8: Beauty and the Beast

Shut up. Disney has been doing well with the live-action remakes. It might be blasphemy but Pete’s Dragon and The Jungle Book were distinctly better than the original versions in my gospel opinion. The cast is the best it could be here, and the CGI and photography looks luminous and refreshing. I don’t care. It’s number eight.

Number 7: Get Out

This is mostly for curiosity. As a huge fan of horror movies (when they’re done correctly), I couldn’t help but become infatuated with the trailer for this upcoming paranoia thriller from comedic genius Jordan Peele. It seems to cleverly attack race relations and utilize some very dark comedy in what looks like one bogus movie.

Number 6: T2: Trainspotting

I can’t say I expected a sequel to Danny Boyle’s cult classic. But with him and the original cast returning, and promising footage so far, I’m optimistic about this one. If anything, Ewan McGregor deserves the work.

Number 5: Logan

Slated to be the last time Hugh Jackman plays his iconic role of Wolverine and Patrick Stewart sits down a lot as Charles Xavier. This hard R loose adaptation of Old Man Logan looks like the Wolverine movie I’ve always wanted to see as a big fan of the X-Men movies. The action and violence looks frenetic, and the trailer will send a tingle down my spine every time.

Number 4: Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2

This is sort of a no-brainer. Yeah, there are a lot of Marvel movies coming out this year so you can throw Spiderman: Homecoming and Thor: Ragnarok in there, too. The first one was a near-perfect ride that was pure fun, and I look forward to continuing that, along with a plethora of more 70s hits.

Number 3: Blade Runner 2049

Blade Runner is one of those imperfect masterpieces, combining groundbreaking visual effects and a haunting atmosphere with cinematography that has stood the test of time as some of the best. This sequel by up-and-coming genius Denis Villeneuve, produced by Ridley Scott, has the return of a smoldering Harrison Ford alongside every straight male’s man crush, Ryan Gosling. With cinematographer Roger Deakins on board, it’s impossible for a movie geek to not be excited.

Number 2: Kingsman: The Golden Circle

I don’t care. I adored Kingsman. Matthew Vaughn’s stylistic action choreography and the taught, reference-filled script made it one of the most original, fun-filled movies in recent memory. The attached cast and returning director are enough to have me excited about the next chapter in this action-comedy spy franchise.

Number 1: Smurfs: The Lost Village

Hahahaha, just kidding.

The Real Number 1: Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Yeah, I guess it was pretty obvious. The Force Awakens left me salivating for more, and the loose ends that need to be closed is immeasurable. Something has to be said about a movie when no one knows anything about it, yet everyone wants to see it. Also, seeing Mark Hamill portray Luke again after thirty years is enough to wet the eyes (and pants) of any devoted fan.