Web Editor Reviews Comedy Performance at MSU

Holden Santi, Web Editor

On Wednesday, Jan 18, the Upright Citizens Brigade touring comedy troupe made a little stop right here in central michigan, and lucky me, I got to see it live. In the basement theatre of Snyder Hall at the Residential College of Arts and Humanities, the Upright Citizens Brigade, or UCB for short, performed for a packed audience.

The Upright Citizens Brigade performed a live 90 minute show of full improv, sometimes taking suggestions from the audience. The show was completely improvised, made up on the spot, and never to be performed again.

The first half of the show consisted of a multitude of improvised scenes based off of an interview they did with an MSU student in front of the audience. Just before the second half the UCB performers instructed everyone to take out their phones and search for any bizarre texts that anyone could find, and then proceeded to improv scenes for those as well.

I even got to meet the group, which consisted of five guys, and chat with them for a bit.

“If you’re gonna do comedy, then you just gotta do it and go all in,” one said, “and if you can see yourself being happy doing anything else, then do that.”

As someone who is interested in pursuing a career in comedy, seeing UCB live further strengthened my aspirations.

UCB crafted a completely original show, full of hilarious, albeit sometimes quite raunchy, jokes and characters. I highly recommend that if anyone ever has a chance they see the UCB, or any improv troupe, live. If not for the laughs, then go to marvel at the sheer talent they possess to be able to craft original stories and scenes at the drop of a hat.

The Upright Citizens Brigade is an improvisational and sketch comedy group that began in Chicago in 1990, founded by comedians Matt Besser, Matt Walsh, Ian Roberts and Amy Poehler. Since its inception, UCB has grown to become a force to be reckoned with in the comedy world and regularly tour the country.