The OHS Press

How Trustworthy Is a Person’s Word?

Back to Article
Back to Article

How Trustworthy Is a Person’s Word?

Photo courtesy US News

Photo courtesy US News

Photo courtesy US News

Photo courtesy US News

Ben Hopper, Staff Reporter

Since the stone age, or so I presume, people have been using their word to hold an unimaginable amount of trust and information. Whether it was swearing on the bible or making pinky promises with your best friend, everyone you know has put trust on their own word and honor.

As the leaders of the free world, American politicians are constantly making promises on their word. It would only make sense for the government to be made up of the utmost trustworthy people. However, plain and simply put, this is just not the way it is.

It may seem as if your favorite political figure is “different” and “always keeps their word,” but the robotic way these politicians play what they say makes them appear different than they really are. Politicians use words like “pivot” to make it look like they are not completely turning on their word, but sadly, most of the time they are.

Let’s start with the current President of the United States, Barack Obama. In 2008, Obama ran a successful campaign against Hillary Clinton on the premise that Hillary “was what’s wrong with politics,” and that she would “say anything and everything to get elected.”

Fast forward eight years and Obama is now saying that “there has never been a man or a woman more qualified than Hillary Clinton to serve as the next US President.” Even the POTUS can completely turn on his word.

Hillary Clinton, former Presidential nominee, is also well known for her ever-so-changing views on hot political issues.

In 1996, Hillary Clinton supported the Defense of Marriage Act allowing states to refuse the right of gay marriage. In 2004, Clinton said that marriage was a sacred bond between a man and a woman, on the floor of the US Senate.

Now, after more than a decade of opposing it, she stands as a supporter of same-sex marriage. This is clearly contradicting what she has formerly said and shows the vast hypocrisy of American politicians.

Let’s take a look at the President-Elect, Donald Trump. Trump ran a campaign on three main points: drain the swamp, lock her up, and Mexico is going to pay for the wall. Trump has not even been elected yet and all three of these points are off the table, I mean, unless he “pivots”.

The point I am trying to get across is that modern politicians are playing us for fools. They will say to you what is music to your ears, then go to the next person and toot their horn till they reach office. When are people going to realize we are all being played? We need to wake up and realize that the crap your favorite politician feeds you will never actually happen.