Boys, girls varsity basketball finish seasons

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo Courtesy lansingstatejournal.com

Photo Courtesy lansingstatejournal.com

Photo Courtesy lansingstatejournal.com

Photo Courtesy lansingstatejournal.com

Andrew Graham, Campus Editor

On Wednesday, March 2, the Okemos Girls’ Varsity Basketball team faced off with the Mason Bulldogs in a district semifinal match up at Okemos High School.

Mason was coming off a 45-41 win over Holt in a district quarterfinal game two days earlier and the Chiefs had drawn a first round bye.

Despite being an very young team with two freshmen—Laya Hartman (9) and Bergin Robinson (9)—the Chiefs battled early and hung around with a much more experienced Mason team.

In the end though, Mason’s seasoned core of upperclassmen was too much for the Chiefs who lost 50-31.

If the Chiefs can build around their young core of Hartman and Robinson, especially with upcoming eighth grader and All-American Jasmine Clerkley, the future is bright.

The Okemos Boys’ Varsity basketball team tipped off districts on Monday, March 7 against Jackson Northwest at Holt High School. The Chiefs slugged their way to victory 44-37 in a sloppy defensive battle.

They moved on to play the Jackson Vikings on Wednesday, a team they had lost to twice in the regular season by a combined nine points.

Finally on their third try the Chiefs bested the Vikings 66-60 and moved to the district championship game on Friday, March 11.

The Chiefs faced off a hot Everett team that had upset host and favorite Holt two days earlier.

Okemos was not intimidated and came of battling on defense and thanks to some hot shooting found themselves up 10-2 early.

Everett battled back and went into halftime leading 20-17.

When the third quarter came about, Everett turned on the jets and pulled away. Powered by 4 made three pointers from Jamyrin Jackson (11), Everett buried the Chiefs, who only ever came within seven the rest of the game.

Looking to next year, the Chiefs graduate a very experienced point guard in Chaz Richardson (12), along with several other key seniors but bring back experience in sophomores Jordan Henry (10) and Patrick Nugent (10) as well as juniors Vail Hartman (11) and Luke Stagg (11).