Athletic Boosters host annual fundraiser

Photo Courtesy okemosathletics.net

Photo Courtesy okemosathletics.net

Zoya Shevchenko, Editor-in-Chief

On Feb. 20th, the Okemos Athletic Boosters hosted the annual “A Toast to the Chiefs,” a night of food, raffles and dancing to raise money for the Okemos athletics department.

Each year, the gathering welcomes families from around the community to enjoy themselves while simultaneously supporting the Booster’s ongoing projects, which, this year, included the building of a new strength and conditioning room, as well as the purchase of new team uniforms.

“Our Booster club purchases all of our uniforms, it’s a lot of money,” Ira Childress (Athletic Director) said. “[A Toast to the Chiefs] is a huge fundraiser for Okemos athletics.”

In last week’s event, the Athletic Boosters were successful in raising approximately $25,000 and donating $30,000 towards the building of the strength and conditioning room. The renovated room more than doubled the size of the previous one, encouraging athletes to test the fresh gear.

“[The new strength and conditioning room] is a huge upgrade in both space and equipment compared to the old one, and it’s open to any student who wants to use it,” Carter Mashburn (11) said.

The Boosters will continue with events similar to this to fundraise for future athletic department needs.