“Dream Your Life Away” is a dream for folk genre

Nick Merrill, Campus Editor

Australian-born Vance Joy first gave us a taste of his folk/indie music style when he released his EP, “God Loves You When You’re Dancing,” back in 2013. When I first heard his single “Riptide” illegally used in a GoPro video, I immediately bought the EP and fell in love with his style. I could not contain the excitement for his new album,Dream Your Life Away.”

“DYLA” was well worth the wait.

Vance Joy brings a new sound to the folk genre. Armed with just a ukulele, Joy soothes the soul with his simplistic chords and one-of-a-kind melancholic yet upbeat voice. Joy can capture the attention of a wide range of people with just his voice.

This album needed little production to be a buy for me. And yet, producer Ryan Hadlock added other instruments that compliment Joy’s style. “DYLA” is almost like a folk “Yeezus,” keeping it simple, yet powerful.

I have trouble loving the folk genre because of how repetitive many of its artists are (I’m looking at you Mumford & Sons). Part of the reason albums of other genres, such as the rap “The Man on the Moon: End of the Day” and the electronic “Random Access Memories,” are excellent is because they offer a vast array of songs. “DYLA” does not sport the same level of variety, but it provides enough that I will be sure to revisit the album.

Joy brings relatable lyrics to his songs as well. In “Riptide,” Joy spins a wonderful tale about the one that got away. In “Mess is Mine,” Joy reflects on his regrets in life. His lyrics are powerful and genuine. Instead of talking about how much money he stacks, or how much booty he gets, he talks about his life and his experiences.

In this respect, “DYLA” is a lot like “good kid, m.A.A.D city.” Kendrick Lamar talks about his life and his experiences, just like Joy.

“DYLA” is a breath of fresh air for the folk genre. I loved all forty-nine minutes, which is why I give this album 4.5/5 stars.