The student news site of Okemos High School

The OHS Press

Overview of Ramadan

Hawraa Alsaedi, Business Manager

Ramadan, the holiest month in the Muslim calendar, began nearly two weeks. This means many Muslims will not eating or drinking anything while the sun is up, nearly 17 hours.

Though it is required by the religion, the elderly, kids, pregnant or menstruating women do not have to fast. Those who need medication and are ill are also exempt from fasting.

We do this to experience what those less fortunate often go through and get a small insight to the lives of many in the world. I do it to build self-discipline and strengthen my will.

I began fasting when I was around 11 years old, though many kids start earlier. My parents never forced me to fast, they allowed me to start at my own pace. In the beginning, I’d break my fast half-way through the day, and I worked my way into fasting the entire day.

I have always liked it because there are Ramadan specials on TV and we have big family dinners often. It’s a tradition and piece of home that I still cherish.

Eid, the three day celebration following Ramadan, is what the kids are most excited about. We all receive money as a present from relatives to buy new clothes and sweets. My extended family spends most of the days together and plan fun activities for everybody. The common phrase, Eid Mubarak, is used to wish someone a blessed or a happy Eid.

Ramadan is my favorite time of year because it reminds so much of how things used to be when I was younger.